A morning power hour has been one of the most effective habits I have ever put into practice in my life. And as with everything I write about, I am not talking from pure perfection. I started doing this very recently and it took me forever to finally get it going because I let everything else get in the way including being too tired to get up early enough. To finally take action, what I realized is that I have to consistently focus on being like a TOP athlete but in the sport of life. This way I can push through the feeling of being too tired to get up and finally make something happen that could have endless benefits for my life.
What I’ve learned is that a good power hour routine includes certain daily activities that get your mind in the right place and your body moving. Overall, it gets you set to jump start your day on your best foot. What was helpful for me was to categorize these activities into the energy sources they relate to. I learned about the energies from my real estate days at Keller Williams. Gary Keller, Founder of Keller Williams Realty, explains the 4 energies wonderfully in the Millionaire Real Estate Agent book. By the way, that’s a phenomenal real estate or business book in general!!
1) Spiritual Energy involves prayer and meditation. In short, spending daily time with God (particularly in the morning) not only gets your day going well but it helps build your life’s solid foundation. (Read About the IntentionalZoe Pyramid and Funnel).
2) Physical Energy involves getting out to exercise, and feeding your body.
3) Emotional Energy involves welcoming your family with hugs and kisses, and making time for quality contact and laughter.
4) Mental Energy involves grabbing your calendar and task management tool to fine tune your day’s plan before you actually start doing.
I put my list together of every activity I wanted to include in my power hour and what logistics are involved under the designated energy categories. I then assigned time frames based on what I thought I could reasonably accomplish.
My current morning power hour looks like this…
6:00 am – Alarm goes off
- Spiritual Energy (15 minutes):
- JUMP out of bed – making a specific effort to just bust through the overwhelming feeling of sleep has been important. Again the top athlete mentality.
- Make and hold a power pose for 1-2 minutes (this is the practice of standing in a confident style pose which chemically enhances our brain and ultimately increases our chances of success in life – see this great TED talk by Amy Cuddy)
- Get on my knees to pray in gratitude
- Read the Bible or the next devotional on my Bible app study plan
- Meditate on what I just read
6:15 am –
- Physical Energy (20 minutes):
- Drink a cup of water
- Change into my workout clothes
- Get physically active (walk, power walk, jog, run, intervals, lunges, skipping, etc.)
6:35 am –
- Emotional Energy (15 minutes):
- Excitedly hug and kiss my spouse and kids for the day
- Talk about what we have to look forward to today, and bring up any other positive conversation while making opportunities for laughter
- Do a family prayer
6:50 am –
- Mental Energy (10 minutes):
- Button up plans for the day (routines, appointments, tasks, nourishing breaks, etc.) – the plans I would have originally set at the end of the previous week, and then finalized them the night before in about 5-10 minutes or so. Read about my evening prep routine.
So that is it. It’s not too difficult at all once I had it down on paper and had worked through it for a few days. Of course, I stay flexible since I am a mom of 3 little ones which means any schedule I put into place needs to be fluid. However, having the activities in a routine and slotted into a time block really helps me keep on point daily, and even hop back on the habit if I happen to have a lull period.
— Scripture Reflection —
“Trust God from the bottom of your heart; don’t try to figure out everything on your own. Listen to God’s voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; he’s the one who will keep you on track. Don’t assume that you know it all. Run to God! Run from evil! Your body will glow with health, your very bones will vibrate with life!” ~ Proverbs 3:5-8 MSG
How do you feel about starting your own morning power hour? Do you do something different that has been extra beneficial for you? Share your tips and treasures! If we each have one tip and we share, then we will each have two. You never know who you will inspire to become intentional.